Linda Chung and Shirley Yeung were chased by men with machetes: "I thought I was going to die for sure!"

25 November 2015 / 11 months 4 days ago

Back in 2006, Linda Chung and Shirley Yeung were separated from the crew for a few hours while they were filming “The Biter Bitten”.

Their absence prompted gossip that the actresses were robbed. The truth about what happened that day was kept secret for a decade until Linda opened up about the incident on the variety talk show “Wanna Bros” <娛樂3兄弟>.

According to a report in Jayne Stars, the cast and crew had filmed on location in Mainland China for "The Biter Bitten".

After wrapping up filming one night, the group went to late night karaoke to celebrate Shirley’s birthday.

Leaving the karaoke bar at 1 a.m., Linda and Shirley originally wanted to flag down a taxi to go home. Unfortunately, when they stepped onto the curb of the pavement and was about to get in the cab, more than a dozen men came running after the two women with knives and blades.

“Everyone left and there were only 10 of us there. I was in a rush and when I opened the door of the taxi – 10 to 20 men came running at us with big machetes. They had their arms raised and yelled, ‘Don’t run!’, in Mandarin. I thought they were coming after us. When we ran into a dead end, I thought I was going to die for sure!,” Linda said on the show.

Thankfully, during the chase, Linda and Shirley hid between large garbage disposal bins in an alleyway. The drama’s production assistant finally found them hours later.

After the frightful night, Linda suffered from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and would scream and cry every time she heard a cab door opening and closing. Linda sighed, “Every time I heard taxi sounds, I cried from fear. It only got better after half a year. I’m pretty sure the [gang members] got the wrong people.”

Initially, the public suspected that the cast of The Biter Bitten was simply robbed. The media was unable to find any information on Linda and Shirley’s mysterious disappearance for a few hours and many believed that TVB’s upper management team gave strict orders to prevent them from talking about the incident.

When asked if TVB executive Virginia Lok knew about her revealing the incident, Linda simply replied, “It’s been a long time, and it didn’t happen in Hong Kong. It’s been so long – it doesn’t matter anymore!”

Join in the talk