Pretty teen electrocuted and dies -- after attempting to take the 'ultimate selfie'

13 May 2015 / 1 year 5 months ago

A Romanian teenager burst into flames after accidentally touching a live wire while attempting to take the 'ultimate selfie' on the roof of a train, reports Asiantown via Mail Online.

Anna Ursu, 18, and a friend went to a train station in the town of Iasi in northeast Romania to take a 'special selfie' that she intended to post on Facebook.

But as she lay on top of the train and stuck one of her legs in the air, an electrical field surrounding the overhead cables sent 27,000 volts zapping through her body, causing her to burst into flames.

Despite the best efforts of a passer-by to save her life, the 18-year-old later died in the hospital with burns to 50 per cent of her body.  

The charge that hit Miss Ursu was so powerful that it caused her 17-year-old friend to be sent flying off the roof of the stationary train.

A passer-by who saw the horrific accident risked his own life by scrambling on top of the carriage to extinguish the girl's burning clothes before calling emergency services.

Ursu's friend is currently recovering in hospital. She told investigators that the pair had wanted to get the 'ultimate selfie' and hadn't stoped to think of the danger.

Join in the talk