Chinese actor shocked to discover that disposable chopsticks may be toxic

21 March 2013 / 3 years 7 months ago

Disposable chopsticks are popular with Singaporeans, seeing how many people have their meals on the go. However, they may pose a risk to your health -- as one popular actor found out recently.According to a report on China Daily, actor Huang Bo was shocked to find that a pair of disposable chopsticks provided to him at a restaurant turned the water from a running tap yellow, and gave off a unpleasant smell.After that incident, the 39-year-old took to his Weibo microblogging account and appealed to his followers to stop using disposable chopsticks as "it is not about saving the environment anymore, it is about saving your own life".Huang's belief was backed up by the secretary-general of the International Food Packaging Association, who said that the chopsticks-in-question may have been exposed to sulphur and other types of chemicals.However, a food safety expert interviewed by the news outlet said that it is not easy to assess the dangers of disposable chopsticks as "there are no reports of individuals being poisoned by the chopsticks."Check out the gallery below for interesting health tips

Join in the talk